Frequently Asked Questions
as of June 30, 2022
Using the Earnest app
1. What is Earnest?
Earnest is a financial education and investing platform. It makes it easy for you to learn money basics and to start growing your funds, whenever and wherever it’s convenient for you.
2. How do I create an account?
- You can sign up on this website or on the Earnest app. All you need to provide is a valid email address.
- You can use an account created on the website to log into the app and vice versa.
- On the website, you can read through articles without creating an account. However, if you'd like to learn through the lesson cards, you'll need to create an account so that we can save your progress. To use the app, though, you need to create an account.
3. Where can I download the Earnest app?
4. I forgot my password. How do I retrieve my Earnest account?
- In the sign-in page, go to “Options” and tap the “forgot password” button.
- Enter your email address to receive the link to change your password.
- Once you’ve changed your password, just log in to Earnest again
5. How do I grow my money with Earnest?
The Earnest app allows you to place your money in investment products. Depending on how these products perform, the value of your investment may increase or decrease. Your earnings are realized when you redeem your investment at a value higher that what you initially invested.
6. What kind of investments can I get with earnest?
Earnest currently offers a curated list Metrobank Unit Investment Trust Funds (UITFs). Funds are recommended to you according to the result of your risk assessment.
Earnest currently offers the following UITFs:
- Metro Aspire Balanced Feeder Fund
- Metro Aspire Bond Feeder Fund
- Metro Aspire Equity Feeder Fund
- Metro Balanced Fund
- Metro Equity Fund
- Metro Max-3 Bond Fund
- Metro Max-5 Bond Fund
- Metro Money Market Fund
- Metro Philippine Equity Index Tracker Fund
- Metro Short Term Fund
- Metro High Dividend Yield Fund
- Metro Corporate Bond Fund
- Metro Multi-Themed Equity Fund of Funds
You can get more information about these specific funds here.
7. How do I invest my money?
- You will need to download the Earnest app and create an account. The app will guide you on the next steps.
- To invest, you will need to link a Metrobank account as your settlement account. This account will be the source of your investment funds and your earnings will be deposited there.
- Right now, joint accounts do not work on Earnest, but we’re trying to make this possible!
- The Earnest app will help you choose your investment and transfer your funds (like online shopping for investments).
8. What kind of Metrobank account can I link?
Only individual savings & checking accounts can be linked to Earnest. Other accounts, like joint, In-Trust-For (ITF), and dollar accounts are currently not supported.
9. I'm unable to receive the OTP when I link my Metrobank account. What should I do?
The OTP is sent to the mobile number associated to your Metrobank account. Please make sure that your contact information is updated. If you need to make changes to your account, you can get in touch with your branch of account to update your contact information, or you can also do this here.
10. Do I have to pay a fee every time I invest or withdraw?
The bank charges a minimal amount, called a trust fee, for investing in and withdrawing from certain UITFs. The amount varies per product, and can be found in the respective product's Fund Fact Sheet.
11. What does it mean when my investments are “processing”?
Whenever you make an investment, the fund manager has to place your order. This typically takes 1-2 banking days, and depends on if the transaction was made before or after the cut-off time.
12. How do I redeem my money?
You will see a summary of all your active investments in your Portfolio on the app. Select the investment you want to redeem and the app will guide you through the redemption process.
13. Can I cancel my investments?
- Once an investment has been made, you can’t cancel it while it’s processing. You can redeem your investment afterwards.
- An early redemption charge may apply, depending on the time period between making the investment and cancelling it.
14. What happens when I unlink my bank account?
Your investments will still exist, but you will no longer be able to view, redeem, or add money to them on earnest. You can still them through other channels, including Metrobank Online.
You won't be able to subscribe to any new investments if you don't have a linked Metrobank account.
15. Is the Earnest app available for all smartphones?
The Earnest app is available for Android and iOS smartphones.
16. I have an existing UITF investment with Metrobank. Can I do anything with it on Earnest?
If you have an existing UITF investment with Metrobank, you can still use the app to view, top-up, and redeem your investment.
To do this, just link the Metrobank account you used as a settlement account to the app. If the product you invested in isn't available on Earnest, you won't be able to top up or redeem it through the app. However, you will still be able to view its performance.
17. What else can I do with the Earnest app?
Aside from investing in UITFs, you can learn investing basics and more through short but comprehensive lessons that let you track your progress.
18. How do I get help with Earnest?
Earnest has an in-app chat support feature that lets you message our customer support team. You can find it in More > Support.
You may also send an email to email@example.com with the full details of your problem.
For either method, providing us with screenshots of the problem encountered will allow us to help you better.
1. What kind of Metrobank deposit account can I open on Earnest?
- You can now open a Metrobank Savings Account on Earnest. (Please note: we updated our online application system and are no longer offering applications for an Earnest Digital Account).
- The Metrobank Savings Account is a Metrobank Peso deposit account that can be your settlement account for investing through Earnest.
- You can find more details about this account, including the application requirements, deposit rates, and fees here: https://metrobank.com.ph/save/savings.
*Deposits are insured by PDIC up to P500,000 per depositor
2. How can I open a Metrobank Savings Account through the Earnest app?
- To apply for a Metrobank Savings Account through Earnest, tap on the link in the Home section or in More > My Accounts to start the process.
- Please prepare a valid ID, a sheet of clean white paper, and a black pen before you begin, to make the process smoother.
- Also note that if you already have an Earnest Digital Account, you won't be able to apply for a Metrobank Savings Account through Earnest.
3. What phones can I use to open a digital account on Earnest?
- You can use any Android phone or iPhone that fulfills these requirements:
- Android: Minimum of Android 7.0 (Nougat)
- iOS: Minimum of iOS 12
- Country restriction in Google Play Store and Apple App Store: Philippines
- If your phone isn't compatible with the requirements of account creation, the application option will not be seen. The Earnest team is working on making the application compatible with more phones in the future.
- We've received reports that some users of Pocophone, Xiaomi, and Oppo phones may have difficulties with capture ID and selfie flow for account opening.
4. What are the accepted IDs for online account opening?
- Postal ID card
- SSS ID
- PRC ID
- Driver's license
- Voter's ID with QR code
- Passport with signature
- Philippine National ID (PhilID/PhilSys)
5. How long will it take to open an account?
It will take a maximum of 2 banking days.
6. How can I use my Metrobank Savings Account on Earnest?
- You'll need to link your Metrobank Savings Account to Earnest to use it as your settlement account for your investments. You can do that easily by going to More > My Accounts and tapping on "Link a Metrobank account."
7. How do I follow up with my new account?
You can follow up your application by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
8. I can't find the Metrobank account opening option in the Earnest app.
- You won't see the option to open a Metrobank Savings Account through Earnest if your phone doesn't meet the requirements for account creation. We're working on making this feature compatible with more phones.
- Also, if you have an Earnest Digital Account, you won't be able to apply for a Metrobank Savings Account through Earnest. However, you can still open a savings account by visiting any Metrobank branch.
9. I already have an Earnest Digital Account. Can I still use it?
- Yes! You can keep using your Earnest Digital Account for investing through the Earnest app. You can also still access other Metrobank channels for your other transaction needs.
10. What is the interest rate of the Earnest Digital Account?
Effective February 1, 2022, there will be a change to the Earnest Digital Account interest rate. Please refer to the table below.
Average daily balance
From (current interest rates)
To (interest rate starting Feb. 1, 2022)
P10,000 to P24,999.99
P25,000 to P1 million
Above P1 million
This change in interest rates is only for Earnest Digital Accounts and does not affect Metrobank Savings Accounts opened through the Earnest app. Neither does this change affect any investments made through Earnest.